Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dining Table Makeover

Our once lovely black dining table has been through one too many moves and has left it in sad condition. I have wanted to refinish since our last move (over a year ago) but between kids, sicknesses, money and (probably the number one reason) my indecision, I didn't tackle the project until now. 
Not only do the scratches and paint all over it drive me crazy but the CREVICES in the design of the table are enough to drive me mad. I know I am a little OCD, so the crumbs and who knows what in those crevices was enough to get me to refinish this and fill them in.
I REALLY wanted the wood filler to stay in place so I sanded in all the crevices, crazy, I know. 
The most tedious part for me was filling in those crevices.  It didn't go in as smoothly as I was hoping and it is hard to push that stuff out!
However, well worth it. No more crumbs in the table.
Then it was time for sanding. . . 
and more sanding. . . 
and more sanding.

I went with the darkest stain and primer in one they had. I have never worked with stain but the directions on the paint made it pretty simple. I LOVE the outcome. I think the table can get dinged and scratched and just add to the character of it.

A side not about the chairs. I had intentions of painting them yellow or blue or white or some color, but found these awesome, retro, fun, stackable chairs at Target and that was that.

I put my chairs up on craigslist and the next day there were sold . . . I almost had an even trade but by the time I invested my time and money on paint, I figured I got the better end of the deal.

Now for this black bookcase behind the table that USED to match it. . . white, yellow, blue?? Suggestions?


Photobucket

linking up to these parties:

12 comments:

  1. The table looks great. I have that same one and can't even imagine what is living in those crevices. I plan on doing the same thing... hopefully sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have way too much energy for a pregnant woman. Looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have been a popular table! I still love mine. I am glad to know that if I want it will sand and paint well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the brown table!! I vote yellow for the bookcase!! Telisa, you won't rest until you have painted every stick of furniture and every wall in your house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS re-do...must make you smile whenever you look at it!!

    Deborah ♥♥ (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com/... hope you can drop by and say hi!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome re-do!! I would love for you to share it in my new Link party!! I am just getting started so you would be doing me a HUGE favor!! Thanks, Karen
    http://www.chic-tiques.com/blog/2011/10/06/Furniture-Fix-Friday.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the restyle! The bookcase should be painted yellow :) Stop by for a blog visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ! what an interesting blog with nice pictures.Thanks for
    sharing this information.Your information is really informative for us.
    Nice blog on Dining Table.
    Keep sharing more & more..

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing job you did, it's just beautiful! thanks for sharing with us
    Table Sets For Sale
    Oval Dining Table And Chairs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Table are looking very nice, It will be very helpful for everyone. People can get some new tips for getting the best table in the dinning room. Keep giving updates.

    bedroom furniture sale

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing the idea of doing makeover of a dining table. Please keep sharing this type of helpful post with us.

    dining room table furniture

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, we love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...